1 not tacit or implied; "her express wish"
2 without unnecessary stops; "an express train"; "an express shipment"
1 rapid transport of goods [syn: expressage]
2 mail that is distributed by a rapid and efficient system [syn: express mail]
3 public transport consisting of a fast train or bus that makes a limited number of scheduled stops; "he caught the express to New York" [ant: local] adv : by express; "please send the letter express"
2 articulate; either verbally or with a cry, shout, or noise; "She expressed her anger"; "He uttered a curse" [syn: verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to]
3 indicate through a symbol, formula, etc.; "Can you express this distance in kilometers?" [syn: state]
4 serve as a means for expressing something; "The painting of Mary carries motherly love"; "His voice carried a lot af anger" [syn: carry, convey]
5 manifest the effects of (a gene or genetic trait); "Many of the laboratory animals express the trait"
6 obtain from a substance, as by mechanical action; "Italians express coffee rather than filter it" [syn: press out, extract]
7 send my rapid transport or special messenger service; "She expressed the letter to Florida"
- a UK /ɛk.spɹɛs/ /Ek.sprEs/
- Moving or operating quickly, as a train not making local stops.
- Specific or
- I gave him express instructions not to begin until I arrived, but he ignored me.
- Truly depicted; exactly resembling.
- In my eyes it bore a livelier image of the spirit, it seemed more express and single, than the imperfect and divided countenance.
moving or operating quickly
- Finnish: pika-
specific or precise
- Czech: výslovný
- Finnish: yksikäsitteinen
truly depicted, exactly resembling
- Finnish: ilmeinen
- A mode of transportation, often a train, that travels quickly or
- I took the express into town.
quick mode of transportation
- Finnish: pikavuoro (bus), pikajuna (train)
to convey meaning
- Finnish: ilmaista
- Hungarian: kifejez, kijelent, kimond
to excrete or cause to excrete
- Finnish: erittää
- Hungarian: kinyom, kisajtol, kicsavar
- ttbc Dutch: uitdrukken
- ttbc French: exprimer
- ttbc Japanese: 述べる (のべる, noberu)
- ttbc Romanian: a exprima
- ttbc Spanish: expresar
- ttbc Telugu: వెలిబుచ్చు (velibucchu), తెలియజేయు (teliyajEyu), చెప్పు (cheppu)
Express may refer to:
Media and communication
- The term "express" may refer to express mail, or parcels carried by train, bus, airplane or by courier.
- Express (satellite) is the name of a communication satellite.
- The Daily Express is a British newspaper.
- Express (newspaper) is a free daily newspaper in Washington, D.C.
- Express (Kosovar newspaper) is a daily newspaper in Priština, Kosovo (Serbia).
- Express (German newspaper) is a tabloid in the German Rhineland.
- "The Express" was the usual name for the York Factory Express, also known as the Columbia Express, a shipment of Hudson's Bay Company books and personnel between company HQ at York Factory and Columbia Department HQ at Fort Vancouver. The term was also used for an earlier run by the Northwest Company from Fort William on Lake Superior to Fort George (Astoria) at the mouth of the Columbia River.
- An express train is a fast train service, usually with a limited number of stops.
- The Chevrolet Express is a van built by Chevrolet.
- Express Werke AG was a mid-20th century German bicycle and motorcycle manufacturer.
- The Honda Express is a motor scooter brand by Honda developed in the 1980s.
- Express (company) is a men's and women's clothing company.
- EXPRESS (ISO 10303-11) is the data modeling language of STEP (ISO 10303).
- In rock climbing "express" is the combination of a tube band sling and two carabiners at each side.
- ExPRESS (Expedite the Processing of Experiments to the Space Station) is the name of an International Space Station payloads program, consisting of two types of subsystems:
express in German: Express
express in Esperanto: Ekspreso
express in Italian: Espresso
express in Latvian: Express
express in Dutch: Express
express in Swedish: Express
Amtrak, Aquarius, Ganymede, Hebe, Hermes, Iris, Mercury, PP, Paul Revere, Pheidippides, RD, RFD, absolute, accurate, admitting no exception, advice, affect, affirm, agile, air, air-express, airfreight, airmail, all-out, allege, announce, annunciate, apparent, approve, argue, articulate, assert, assever, asseverate, attest, aver, avouch, avow, baggage train, be indicative of, be significant of, be symptomatic of, bearer, bespeak, betoken, bheesty, book post, brandish, breakneck, breathe, bring forth, bring forward, bring into view, bring out, bring to life, bring to notice, broach, busboy, by airmail, by cable, by express, by return mail, by telegraph, cable railroad, caddie, cargo handler, carrier, carrier pigeon, carter, categorical, certain, character, characterize, chime, choo-choo, chorus, circulate, clean-cut, clear, clear as crystal, clear as day, clear-cut, close, cog railroad, cog railway, coherent, come out with, commissionaire, common carrier, communicate, communication, communique, complete, conceive, concentrate, conclusive, concrete, connected, connote, consign, consistent, constant, contend, convey, conveyer, coolie, correspondence, couch, couch in terms, courier, crisp, crush, crystal-clear, crystalline, cupbearer, dangle, dashing, decided, decisive, declare, decoct, defined, definite, definitive, delicate, delineate, deliver, demonstrate, denominate, denote, depict, describe, designate, detailed, determinate, develop, different, differentiate, diplomatic courier, direct, direct mail, direct-mail selling, discernible, discharge, disclose, dispatch, display, distill, distinct, distinguished, divulge, double-quick, downright, drain, dramatize, draw, drayman, drop a letter, eagle-winged, el, electric, electric train, elevated, embark, embassy, embody, embody in words, emissary, emit, enact, entail, entire, enunciate, esoteric, especial, essentialize, estafette, even, evidence, evident, evince, evoke, exact, exceptional, exhibit, expedite, expeditious, expel, explicit, export, expose, expose to view, express train, expressed, expressman, extract, extraordinary, faithful, fast, final, fine, fixed, flat, flat-out, flaunt, fleet, flier, fling off, flourish, flying, force out, formularize, formulate, forward, fourth-class mail, frame, frank, freight, freight train, freighter, funicular, furnish evidence, galloping, get across, give, give evidence, give expression, give expression to, give indication of, give out with, give sign, give token, give tongue, give utterance, give voice, give words to, global, go to show, go-between, goods train, gun bearer, hair-trigger, halfpenny post, hasty, hauler, have, headlong, highlight, hint, hold, homing pigeon, hustling, identify, illuminate, illustrate, immediate, impart, implicit, imply, import, in posthaste, inappealable, incarnate, indicate, indisputable, individual, indubitable, inerrable, inerrant, infallible, infuse, inner, insist, intend, intended, intentional, interurban, intimate, involve, issue a manifesto, junk mail, lay down, let out, letter, letter carrier, letter post, letters, light of heel, light-footed, lightning express, limited, limn, limpid, lip, litter-bearer, lively, local, loud and clear, lucid, luminous, mail, mail-order selling, mailing list, maintain, make clear, make known, make plain, manifest, manifesto, mark, materialize, mathematical, mean, melt down, mercurial, message, message-bearer, messenger, metro, micrometrically precise, microscopic, milk train, minute, monorail, newspaper post, nice, nimble, nimble-footed, note, noteworthy, noticeable, nuncio, observable, obvious, open-and-shut, out-and-out, outline, outright, paint, palpable, parade, paragraph, parcel post, parliamentary, parliamentary train, particular, passenger train, patent, pellucid, perceivable, perceptible, peremptory, perfect, perform, personal, perspicuous, phonate, phrase, picture, pinpoint, plain, plain as day, pneumatogram, point to, porter, portray, positive, post, post day, postboy, posthaste, postrider, pour forth, precipitate, precise, predicate, premeditated, present, press out, private, proclaim, produce, profess, prompt, pronounce, protest, put, put about, put across, put forth, put in words, put it, quick, quick as lightning, quick as thought, rack-and-pinion railroad, railroad train, raise, rapid, rattler, reckless, redcap, refine, refined, registered mail, release, religious, religiously exact, remit, render, represent, respective, reveal, rhetorize, rigid, rigorous, roll out, rolling stock, round, runner, running, rural delivery, rural free delivery, say, scientific, scientifically exact, sea mail, seapost, seeable, self-evident, self-explaining, self-explanatory, send, send away, send forth, send off, set, set down, set forth, set out, several, severe, shield-bearer, ship, show, show forth, show signs of, shuttle, shuttle train, signalize, signify, simple, singular, sketch, skycap, snappy, soak, solipsistic, sound, spanking, speak, speak for itself, speak out, speak up, speak volumes, special, special delivery, special handling, specific, speedy, spell, spotlight, square, stand for, stand on, state, steep, stevedore, straight, straight-out, straightforward, streamliner, stretcher-bearer, strict, style, submit, subtle, subway, suggest, surface mail, swift, symbolize, symptomatize, symptomize, tangible, telegram, tell, tend to show, testify, the Water Bearer, throw off, to be seen, token, total, train, translucent, transmit, transparent, transpicuous, transporter, trot out, truck driver, trucker, true, tube, unambiguous, uncircumscribed, unconditional, unconditioned, unconfused, underground, undeviating, undoubting, unequivocal, unerring, unfold, unhampered, unhesitating, univocal, unlimited, unmistakable, unmitigated, unqualified, unquestioning, unreserved, unrestricted, unwaivable, utter, uttered, vent, ventilate, verbalize, visible, vocalize, voice, voiced, wagoner, water boy, water carrier, wave, way train, well-defined, whisper, whole, winged, without exception, without reserve, word, wring, wring out, write